What it takes to be a Victoria’s Secret Angel?
It takes 30% luck and 70% for the looks. It is not just about the looks, but also your features.
It requires 5’9 height and a body proportion of 34-24-34; a sexy body that you’re comfortable and full of confident to ramp with; and lastly a Victoria’s Secret Angel attitude.
According to Daniel Grandl, there is what so-called 10 Commandments of Being a VS Angel:
- Thou shalt always be ready. Welcome to Little Victoria’s Secret!Always. There are never any exceptions. You show up hair and makeup ready to get on a plane. You wear heels everywhere (the only exception is when working out) and you are always game for a photo. I failed at this.
- Thou shalt have a variety of poses. The unofficial Victoria’s Secret Angel poses include but are not limited to: kissy face, blowing a kiss, peace sign, “hands up in the air I’m having the best time ever,” HUGE smile and wink.
- Thou shalt own your personality. Hill says, “I love to be myself. I am not that quiet girl. I’m an American. I will scream at a football game. That’s me. I will eat a fucking turkey. I cuss a lot. I need to watch my mouth because I don’t think that’s allowed. I’m not an Angel yet. I’m in the kids section. I don’t know what I’m doing.” Yeah, me either.
- Thou shalt work (and werk) all the time. This includes work, working out, and werking. Angels are always on. Fans are constantly coming up to them and asking for photos. They always oblige.
- Thou shalt not cheat. Hill says, “When you are a model, this is what you work for. This is what you work so hard to do. It makes the working out and going to bed early and eating right so worth it because you feel cleaner and healthier and happier anyway
- Thou shalt be focused. It is easy to lose sight of goals, especially with the holidays coming up and people shoving all kinds of cookies in your face. But Angels have their eyes on the prize.
- Thou shalt keep calm. Stress is my middle name. Adriana Lima told me that she likes to meditate before the runway.
- Thou shalt honor your wings. “You know how long it look me to get wings? Like 15 years” Isabeli Fontana tells me. I did not earn my wings. I bought them at a costume shop in Union Square and brought them to London. Hey, you can’t say I’m not committed. The wings are special. Taylor doesn’t have wings in this year’s show but it’s definitely a goal for all Angels. How do you know you’re an Angel if you don’t have wings?
- Thou shalt act like an Angel. Attitude is everything. During the backstage madness before the show, every single Victoria’s Secret model was gracious and wonderful at all times. Truly angelic.
- Thou shalt honor thy other Angels. Victoria’s Secret is a family. It’s sort of like a really gorgeous mafia family where Adriana Lima is the godfather, and once you’re in, you’re in. Because of the grueling casting process and the next-level production of the show, there are no egos once you make it there. Everyone treats each other with the utmost respect. “All the girls who are Victoria’s Secret girls, they are not just pretty faces,” Hill says. “If you sit down with them they will surprise you by what they would say.”